Wednesday, October 27, 2010

PR theme analysis 1

Globalization
In the novel, the theme of globalization appears quite frequently.  Globalization entails all things global, such as travel and communication.  For example, the emails Cayce gets from Damien in Russia and Parkaboy while in japan just serve as reminders as to how easy it is to reach around the world to people.  Another example is Cayce’s flight to japan.  She was able to book in on a whim, and while the flight probably takes more time than any other singular event in the novel (thus far) it takes the up the fewest number of pages.  The way it is presented makes it seem like travel these days is no big deal; traveling halfway around the world is something that happens all the time.  In modern times there is always a way of reaching anyone in the world at any given time. 
Meeting Generic Expectation
As far as my own expectations of science fiction, this novel does not exactly fit the mold.  I do like it, but it is not the same as the other science fiction stuff I read.  I am a geek, and the only other science fiction I have to compare this too are several Star Wars books and a few other books based on video games, but when compared to those books this one seems more like a modern fiction novel than a science fiction one; the reason being that this novel is set in the now, where the technology they talk about are things I have used before.  In other science fiction novels there are hyperdrives and space exploration and a great number of other highly advanced works of technology that I do not have a very good grasp on, whereas in this novel it is very easy for me to envision Cayce and all her tech.  While this novel is still considered science fiction, in my mind I lump it more in a mystery genre just because of that technology aspect.  

No comments:

Post a Comment